Saturday 29 August 2009

Living History

As a child, I enjoyed History. However it was marred by the use of textbooks and a constant obsession on the teacher's part of world war 2 and aspects of the Victorians. I guess you could say the teaching of History in my school left quite a lot of gaps!
With my children I have decided to take a chronological approach. So we started at the very beginning when God created the Earth 6,000 years ago. We have used a lot of 'living books' in our History studies, which have been very enjoyable. We are currently reading, Our Island Story and the story of John Calvin.
Children are natural explorers, so we enjoy discovering places of Historic interest and I guess there is History to be found where ever you go! I often pass somewhere and wonder what it would be like if you could turn the clock back and see what really happened. What were the people really feeling and was it in line with the accounts we have today?
We are blessed in England to have a rich historical heritage. Castles, cathedrals, churches, battlefields, homes, woodland. They each tell their own story.

1 comment:

  1. "Castles, cathedrals, churches, battlefeilds..." It sounds almost like a description out of one of my books... now you know where I must get all of my ideas... "from Britain!"
    your oldest kid

    ReplyDelete