Saturday 19 September 2009

Apple picking


Now is the season for apples, pears, and plums. Above is a pic of me checking the apples that I have picked. The ones shown are a variety of eating apple. We have been picking a lot of different varieties, all growing in the wild. We eat the eaters and cook up the cooking apples. What I do, is blanche a whole load in a saucepan and cool and store in tubs in the freezer. That way, when I want to make pies, or sponges it is already done.
Here is a recipe we like for apple sponge-
1)Chop the apples and put them in a dish which is oven safe.
2) Cream 4 ounces of margarine with 3 ounces of sugar.
3) Add one beaten egg.
4) Fold in 4 ounces of selfraisng flour. I use wholemeal.
5) Spoon over your apples and cook at medium heat for about 40 mins, or until a fork comes out clean.
This recipe will serve 4-6. We double it for our family and cook in 2 seperate bowls.

1 comment: